Michael the Archangel
Gift of John Koepnick
On display in Harmon Museum's Contemporary Art Gallery
FUN FACT: Koepnick pioneered a new casting process for the final work. This aluminum sculpture was made for St. Michael’s Church in Houston, Texas and is over 30ft tall!
1908 Buick Model D
On display in Harmon Museum.
Gift of the Ertle Family
David Dunbar Buick, Walter Marrs and Eugene Richard started building the Model B automobile in Flint, Michigan in 1904.
The Model D was the first full-sized Buick to join the smaller Model B in 1907. The Model D has a four-cylinder, 255.0 cubic inch T-head engine that was installed in the front with a rear-wheel drive and was one of the only cars with side valves that Buick made. The brakes on the Model D are mechanical with levers attached to the rear axel and drive shaft.
FUN FACT: 1908 was the last year Buick used kerosene for their lamp headlights.
In honor of Memorial Day, listen to the stories of those that made it home.
In Honor & Remembrance is a collection of conversations with over 35 veterans ranging in age from 27 to 96, covering wars and conflicts from World War II to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Rookwood Pottery is an American Art pottery company, located in Cincinnati, and founded in 1880. It was extremely popular until the Stock Market crash of 1929. and eventually closed in 1967. In 2004, it was revived, the new American Art pottery company taking the name and building on the old site.
The Warren County Historical Society has an extensive collection of original Rookwood Pottery on display at Harmon Museum.
Chip carved from walnut cigar boxes, with two drawers and lid. The pedestal box form was primarily found in upstate New York and created in the 1930s. Our example still has the New York cigar makers imprint on the inside of the boxes. Tramp Art wasn't produced only by itinerants but by the working man and is considered Folk Art. These pieces can be simple such as picture frames and small items, or complicated such as boxes with secret compartments and furniture. A generous donation by K. Richard B. Niehoff.
Benn Pittman was born in England in 1822 and came to Cincinnati in the mid 1850's. He was a teacher at the Cincinnati Art Academy teaching decorative art and wood carving. One. of the premier Cincinnati Carvers, his work can be seen on furniture, woodwork, staircases, and small decorative items. His second wife was Adelaide Nourse, twin sister of painter Elizabeth Nourse. He was the founder of phonetic shorthand in America and one of the first shorthand reporters employed by the US Government. His most famous recorded case was the trial of the Lincoln conspirators.
- Sylvia Outland, Art Curator
Plaster maquette (model for a larger sculpture) of elegant standing female by Wayne Green. Carlysle Wayne Green lived in the old schoolhouse on Utica Road just north of Old St. Rt. 122. (This is why we named her Utica as she didn't come to us with a name.) Green was an accomplished sculptor, and artist-in-residence and instructor of sculpture at Wilmington College. Educated at the Dayton Art Institute, his works can be found in public private collections including Wilmington College.
- Sylvia Outland, Art Curator
Various staff and volunteer writers.